Friday, January 3, 2014

Rush Review

The screaming of engines, overcrowded race tracks, smell of burned rubber, and the threat of imminent death. I'll admit - I was never a big fan of Formula 1 or other racing competitions in general, so I didn't expect much of this movie. I saw it on someone's Top 10 list and I guess I was bored - so I watched it.

The result was shocking to me.

The movie is about rivalry of two famous Formula 1 drivers - Niki Lauda and James Hunt, and it follows them basicly from the start of their careers to the most important period of their lives - mainly year 1976. I don't want to spoil it, but it is a story based on real people - so you can pretty much find it on their Wiki pages. But I didn't know it - so I enjoyed the story at its fullest, fearing for their lives, having adrenaline bursts whenever their engines began roaring.

And that is what I love the most about this movie. It catches you and immerses you fully with the characters, so your eyes are tied to the screen and you barely can look anywhere else. The story has extremely well-crafted pace, the dialogues are very good (with some exceptions) and the characters are human, believable, and badass.

Daniel Brühl's performance as Niki Lauda is nothing short of remarkable. Despite the fact, that his character is an intorvert, calculating and unsociable, he rules the screen every time he's in it, and it will be Niki Lauda, who you will remember the most from this movie. Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt seconds him well, with his playboyish looks and drunken charisma.

Hans Zimmer composed the soundtrack - and, as we are used to, it's epic and amazing, well underlining the overall theme and atmosphere of the film.

If this text looks like the movie is flawless, you are right - it almost is. The only flaws I would criticize are few slowly paced parts, where I felt that it could be done better, and that the character of Niki's wife was interesting enough, that she could have more screen time. But these are just tiny flaws in otherwise amazing film.

Verdict: 9,5/10


This movie so stuffed with emotions, adrenaline, and great character, that it will last on your mind long after you watched it. 

If you've seen the movie, let me know what you thought about it in the comments below.

______________________________________________________________________________________________


Also, try CashCrate - a great way to earn a few bucks on the side, if you live in the US.





1 comment:

  1. Love this review. Daniel Bruhl has become one of my favourite new actors because of this film. He was exceptional with this movie! Here check out my review of 'Rush' http://averyadamykmovies.blogspot.ca/2013/10/rush-review.html

    ReplyDelete